AAA ERG offers annual scholarships to promising Illinois high school students to help fund their STEM academic goals. The two scholarships made available each year are the Angela C. Harvey Memorial Scholarship and the AAA ERG Academic Scholarship.
About Angela C. Harvey Memorial Scholarship
The Angela C. Harvey Memorial Scholarship is a $1,500 award that honors the legacy of Angela Harvey, a Chicago native who served as the former division director of the Department of Energy’s Argonne Site Office.
Before passing away in 2011, Harvey excelled as an administrator and as an advocate for STEM-focused education. As a science education advocate in Chicago Public Schools, Harvey helped introduce young people to Argonne’s science and engineering opportunities.
This scholarship is gifted once a year to a college-bound graduate of Lindblom Math & Science Academy, Harvey’s alma mater.
AAA ERG Academic Scholarships
The AAA ERG Academic Scholarship awards $1,500 to a high school student pursuing a college degree in a STEM-related field. Scholarship applicants must be US citizens, residents of Chicago-land or surrounding areas, and received first year admittance to a college or university.
The Angela C. Harvey Scholarship and AAA ERG Academic Scholarship target college-bound high school seniors who have demonstrated academic achievement, financial need and an interest in studying science, technology, engineering, and/or mathematics.
To be considered for an award, students must complete an online application and submit supporting documentation, detailed below, to AAA-ERG@anl.gov. Applications for both scholarships are due by Monday, April 24, 2017.
Scholarship recipients are chosen by the AAA-ERG scholarship committee. Applications are assessed based on academic achievement, community involvement (clubs, volunteer work and/or employment), financial need, letters of recommendation and essay responses. The committee will announce the recipients of each award on May 26, 2017.
How to Apply
To apply for the Angela C. Harvey Scholarship and AAA ERG Academic Scholarship, students must:
- Complete the Online Application for AAA ERG Academic Scholarship or the Online Application for Angela C. Harvey Scholarship
- Write a 500- to 800-word essay on the following prompts:
- Tell us about your favorite app and what you like about it
- Tell us about a time an app played a significant role in improving your day
- Gather supporting documents including:
- Official copy of high school transcripts
- Official copy of ACT test scores
- Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from FAFSA
- List of extracurricular activities & awards
- Two letters from personal references ( i.e. coaches, past mentors) detailing participation in each activity
- Two letters of recommendations (At least one must be from a teacher or academic professional)
- Email your essay and supporting documentation to AAA-ERG@anl.gov.