Green Tomato Bread
- 2 eggs
- 2 c sugar
- 1 c oil
- 3 t vanilla
- 2 c green tomatoes
(grate and drain juice)
- 3 c flour
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 t salt
- 1 t cloves (ground)
- 2 t cinnamon
- 1/2 c walnuts
c =cup t = teaspoon
1. Blend dry items well.
2. Blend sugar & wet ingredients separately.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and blend.
4. Put in bread tin or muffins. Bake approx 1 hr @ 350F. This bread recipe is cake like.
Variations: Use 3/4 c sugar, 1/2 c oil & 1/2 c apple sauce
Use 1 1/2 c bread flour & 1 1/2 c w/wheat flour. Remember to spoon the flour into a cup, not scoop the flour with a cup!
- If the tomatoes are not truly green they will be too wet & will have a “gel” like center. The 2 cups of grated tomato should be “dry”. Drain the juice & gently press into the cup.
- Put wax paper on the bottom of the bread tin to help it release from the pan. Crisco & flour can also be used on the pan as this bread breaks easily.
- Concerning oil: apple sauce can be used instead of oil in most recipes, or a combination of oil & apple sauce. The total amount of liquid should not change.