- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 4 large cloves garlic
- 1 cup pinenuts (shelled walnuts may be used as substitute)
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup grated romano cheese
- salt and pepper to taste (optional)
Combine basil, garlic and walnuts in bowl of food processor fitted with steel blade.
Chop in 2-3 five-second pulses, then switch to continuous chopping while adding olive oil
through chute in a slow steady stream. Turn off processor.
Add parmesan and romano cheeses to mixture and process briefly to combine.
Makes about 2 cups pesto. Freezes well. I use small Gladware containers.
Delicious as an appetizer over cream cheese or goat cheese, served with bread or crackers.
Combine with pasta and steamed vegetables; add shrimp or chicken for complete meal.
Also great on pizza crust with vegetables/olives/chicken and mozzarella cheese.