Separation Science group is seeking applications for a postdoctoral research associate to conduct fundamental research in the area of chemical separations.
The successful candidate will join a diverse team of experts from across the Lab to address challenging, fundamental questions about chemical separations applied to critical materials, the answers to which will inform a more energy efficient and environmentally aware nation. The team includes staff and postdoctoral fellows with diverse backgrounds in inorganic, analytical and physical chemistry, physics and materials science. They will have the opportunity to work with the advanced instrumentation available at Argonne National Laboratory, including the Advanced Photon Source.
The candidate will be expected to contribute experimental insights to understand solution structure and phase transitions in liquid-liquid extraction, with applications focusing on rare earth elements. As a contributor to a group effort, the candidate will have the opportunity to lead studies, including the preparation of manuscripts and the presentation of their research in a national forum.
- A successful candidate must have a Ph.D. in chemistry, chemical engineering or a related field at the time of start date. Demonstrated research interest in chemical separations.
- The ability to design and conduct research addressing fundamental scientific questions.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Expertise in liquid-liquid extraction or ion exchange and associated characterization techniques, including ICP-MS, Karl Fischer titration and potentiometric titration.
- Knowledge in theory of liquid-liquid phase equilibria, phase transitions or critical phenomena.
- Experience in structural characterization of liquids, including with synchrotron techniques such as small angle X-ray scattering.
- Familiarity with molecular simulation techniques, including molecular dynamics.
- Must possess a Ph.D. degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, physics or related discipline and 0 to 3 years of experience/equivalent.
To apply: Click Here