Argonne National Lab maintains a collection of displays around the site to provide easily updated to the lab populace. In June 2016, CEPA (Communications, Education, and Public Affairs) placed a selection of electronic posters in rotation on these displays to acknowledge LGBT Pride Month.
- On May 31, 2016, President Barack Obama proclaimed June 2016 as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride Month
- As an example of current LGBTQA+ role models in STEM professions, we cited Lynn Conway, transgender advocate and Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Emerita, at University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- As another example of current LGBTQA+ role models in STEM professions, we cited Samuel Brinton, Senior Policy Analyst at Bipartisan Policy Center, who co-founded of Nuclear Pride, and spoke before the U.N.’s Committee Against Torture regarding so-called “conversion therapy”.
- As another example of current LGBTQA+ role models in STEM professions, and as a speaker for LGBT Pride Month, we hosted Dr. Elena Long, research physicist at University of New Hampshire, and an executive member of the APS ad hoc Committee on LGBT Issues, which published a report on “LGBT Climate in Physics”.
- CEPA also produced a general awareness poster to remind the laboratory populace that Spectrum is here as a resource for all.