Advancing Women in STEM Leadership (LAWISE Workshop) (2021)
December 16, 2021
According to the Association of Women in Science (AWIS), a 2019 survey of 42 of the 46 federally funded research and development centers (FFRDC) indicated that only 27% of leadership positions are held by women, while only two of the 42 FFRDCs had female laboratory directors. AWIS also surveyed academic institutions, indicating the proportion of women drastically declines as you progress up the faculty ranks. (Source: AWIS 2019 Report)
This interactive, virtual workshop looked at behaviors and techniques to help women assess and build their skills, enabling them to achieve their full leadership potential.
The overall objectives were to:
• Heighten awareness of the current reality professional women in STEM face;
• Define gaps to achievement and identify behaviors to close the gaps;
• Define opportunities to add value, influence and drive impact; and
• Make commitments, including the creation of personal action plans.
Allyship Success in Research and Development at Argonne (2021)
January 21, 2021
The interactive webinar focused on thought and emotional intelligence to strengthen collaboration, problem solving, and decision making.
The overall objectives were to:
- Strengthen emotional intelligence to build better relationships;
- Support a vibrant work culture by improving interactions;
- Utilize inclusion best practices;
- Apply principles that build trust and rapport;
- Identify opportunities to improve relationships; and
- Help us make commitments to ourselves and others to bridge differences.
This webinar supported Argonne’s work with the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine (NASEM) Action Collaborative on Preventing Sexual Harassment and will include an overview of efforts underway at the laboratory.
30th Anniversary Symposium (2020)
October 15, 2020
This virtual symposium was held to celebrate WIST’s 30th year supporting the program’s mission of promoting the success of women at the laboratory. The symposium focused on diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) at the laboratory and offer professional development focused workshops.
Workshops topics included:
- Working on Multi-Generational Teams (Dale Carnegie)
- Delegating to Empowerment (Strive)
- The Practice of Rowing Together (Strive)
International Women’s Day #BalanceForBetter (2019)
March 8, 2019
International Women’s Day celebrates the achievements of women, raises awareness of gender inequality, and calls us to create a more gender-balanced world. The 2019 theme, #BalanceforBetter, reminds us that gender balance drives a better world for all of us. Here at Argonne, our Core Values embolden us to create respectful, diverse, and inclusive teams whose work will positively impact our world.
The celebration featured outstanding Argonne women from across the laboratory and will highlight the ways in which inclusive and balanced teamwork gives our work the most impact. All are invited to attend. Participants were encouraged to wear purple, the color of International Women’s Day.
WIST is proud to join women across the globe in celebration and commitment to promoting gender equality in our community and the world.
Last Updated: January 13, 2022